What is Agile SCRUM?
The video is really inspiring for all those people like me that try to get its productivity to the next level and hadn’t heard about -or where reluctant to adopt- such a professional project management method for simple solo or very small team projects. Considering the methodology of SCRUM I’ve designed a Google Spreadsheet for freelancers or small teams ready to use. It is very basic but gives you an overall idea and accuracy in a fast and simple way on how the project is evolving during its process.
Simple Agile SCRUM template for freelancers
How to use the Spreadsheet
- Fill in the name or description of the tasks in the first column.
- On the second column to the right, estimate the hours needed for each task in total (among all days).
- Fill in the daily calendar with the initial estimated hours you will dedicate to each task every day. These are just initial estimates, once you start the burnout you can correct them. This way you will see how accurate you where while planning and will help you estimate better on the next project.
- Now estimate your burnout by filling the cells in the Estimate your burnout row This should represent the amount of hours you dedicate each day to the project.
- Change the numbers at the top row to your own dates.
You should only edit the cells in white (the ones without a formula in it). Some columns and rows are hidden to fit the screen of a laptop, if you need more space just unhide them.
Follow the link to see the Spreadsheets: Agile SCRUM Project Management Google Spreadsheets And click the button Use this template.
Learning the Art of Agile Development
If you are interested in learning more about Agile techniques I encourage you to read The Art of Agile Development from James Shore and Shane Warden, it presents all the concepts and ideas needed to start putting Agile into practice.
28 Sep 2011
- Fixed an error that ignored the first row hours in the total time
4 Feb 2011 – Version 2.1
- Fixed Time (left) from being negative @Shannon
25 Nov 2010 – Version 2
Thanks to all your feedback guys! I have rewritten the whole spreadsheet to improve it with the feedback from the community (both by posting in the comments or by email) and other minor fixes:
- Improved UI
- Added Real Time Spent (to differentiate between estimated time and extra time spent). Suggested by @Mike
- Updated graphic to the new version of Charts (this may help in exporting the spreadsheet to Excel) @Jai
- Calendar is flexible now (starting from Day 1)
- Calendar extended (unhide columns to view them)
- Task list extended (unhide rows to view them)
- Conditional coloring to improve UX
Instructions, feedback, requests and support
Have some ideas? Feedback welcome! If you wish to add some modifications or come up with an improved design please let me know and I’ll update the Agile SCRUM Google Spreadsheet. Photo by Alan Dayley