Sleep Cycle is one of the coolest apps in the Apple Store. It allows you to monitor your sleep cicles and has an alarm that wakes you up at the best time you need to wake up hence you always wake up fresh and without that tired sensation of having slept a lot but not rested at all.
The app is only supported for the iPhone since the screen in the iPod Touch doesn’t dim and the device can become hot. I have been using it in my iPod Touch (it’s the 32GB version) for more than two weeks and it works great. I use a case to protect my iPod Touch and still doesn’t get hot at all during the night.
To use Sleep Cycle in your iPod Touch follow these steps:
- Update the iPod Touch to its latest OS version (4.0 or higher (currently available 4.1))
- Go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock and select Never
(Don’t worry, disabling auto-lock will not disable the password lock feature in your device)
- Go to the iTunes Store and buy Sleep Cycle
- Just to be sure, leave Sleep Cycle running during the day to see if the device becomes hot.
- Before going to sleep, close all the other apps running in the background (specially Skype).
- Do not put the iPod Touch under the pillow.
- Put your device to charge and go to sleep. The app will wake you up in your lightest sleeping phase :)
The first two days the app will “learn” your sleeping patterns so results may not be very accurate. Although it works perfect for me (and many other people commenting about it on the Internet) I cannot guarantee that it will work for everyone so please download the app at your own risk. If it doesn’t work it’s just £1.
By the way, there are also more professional sleep phase alarm clocks which work much better, they’re about £100-200 but if having a good rest is important to you consider getting one.
Photo by orangeacid.