I haven’t found any good Spotify lyric plugins for Mac OSX yet so I decided to code my own approach. It is not exactly a plugin but a web-based bookmarklet no installation required and works for any platform (Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, etc.).
How ListeningNow works
You click on the bookmarklet in your browser and a popup window with the lyrics to the song you are currently listening (or just listened) in Spotify will appear.
Setting up ListeningNow
Although no software needs to be installed you need to follow this steps in order to make ListeningNow work with Spotify. You need to have a Spotify account and a Last.fm account.
- Enable scrobbling in Spotify
- Make sure Recently listened tracks in Last.fm is public
- Go to your user profile
- Click on Settings at the right of the Recently Listened Tracks header
- Deselect Make this private
- Select one of the following available ListeningNow servers:
- Type in your Last.fm username:
- Click here: Generate bookmarklet
- Drag and drop the bookmarklet to your browser toolbar:
(generate the bookmarklet first)
- Click on the bookmarklet any time you want to see the lyrics for a song
If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave a line at the Comments section.
ListeningNow tool works for Spotify and any other music player that supports Last.fm’s scrobbling real-time (Last.fm, Windows Media, iTunes, Winamp, Songbird, Amarok, Boxee, Hype Machine, Jukefly, Muxtape, PandoraFM, Squeezebox, etc.)